Saturday, 3 October 2015

Final injections


Friday morning - we visited Shrewsbury for (hopefully) our final scan.
We arrived as normal, went for bloods which took ages as they were being really slow. We then got scanned by a scanner this time who told us nothing while she was doing the scan. Last time, we had Claire who talked us through the scan which put us more at ease!
We then had to wait again for what seemed like a lifetime. Then Claire called us in......and advised that the scan was fine, drugs have done their job .... and we're all set to go for egg collection on Monday morning !!!
She went through what we need to do with the drugs to take etc, and what we need to do in preparation for the collection on Monday. Lots to take in !!!
As we left the unit, I filled up with emotion. Each day has felt like a hurdle that we are so lucky to get over. Now, we've jumped another hurdle and we're on to the big hurdle of collection.
I won't lie - I'm scared stiff. The sedation, the procedure, the prep ( pessaries ) !!! But it's all part of the process.

So, I went back to work after the scan. I felt bad staying off another day as I was feeling better than the day before. My Manager did mention how tired I looked though - and at that point, the tiredness hit me. I cleared up a few things - as I knew I wouldn't be in on Monday .... but my colleagues are not aware of this as I have kept my treatment between myself and my manager.

I popped to the Supermarket to stock up on goodies for the weekend - and post collection, and headed home for a relaxing night with Ric .... and the final menopur injections. It feels like the end of an era. Less than two weeks ago, I lay in the bath, crying my eye out as I was scared to inject for the first time....and here I am thinking how much I am going to miss it.
Ric got to work with his mixing role ..... I have not mixed a single injection. He has taken over the role and made sure each needle was ready with no air bubbles etc.










So, that's that. 
We then moved on to the morning injection .... and at 7am on a Saturday morning, we didn't bother with pictures. It was mixed by Ric and I injected in to my tummy....and we went back to bed. Not that I could sleep much. I tossed and turned and lay in bed reading my Kindle. 
Considering I've taken time off from exercise and classes, I still don't seem to have had lots of time on my hands. But I did enjoy being able to just lie back and read this morning. 

We then got up and had some breakfast then got ready to head to Erddig National Trust. We've become members for this year and we're making the most of our membership. So we decided to pop to the Apple Festival to see what was on - and purely to enjoy a stroll around the estate and the gardens. It was lovely just to spend quality time together.



I also should add that last night Friday 2nd October, we had tickets to see Lifehouse  in Manchester. There was no way we could have gone to the gig as I had to do my injections, so I offered them to my friend Michelle ( who happened to be with me the night that I met Richard ).
'Our song' is Everything by Lifehouse .... and it seems more appropriate than ever right now. This journey has been one hell of an emotional rollercoaster - and I just could not and would not have been able to do it without Ric by my side <3 xx



Saturday night is now upon us, and we've had to turn down a night out with the running gang - but our friends have been great and understanding why we can't join them. 
So, instead it was pizza and lemonade watching TV after taking the final injection. This one was Pregnyl. I was advised that it must be taken at 20:00 as it has to be timed to fit in with the egg collection which will take place at 8:00am on Monday morning. 
The drug has been in the fridge for weeks - so I expected it to hurt when it went in, but it was no different to the other injections. Was an emotional moment once I finished. After each injection, we've hugged each other and gave each other a kiss. Tonight, we did the same but it did get a bit emotional. 
Time to move on to the joys of pessaries and see what Monday holds now !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment