Monday, 5 October 2015

Egg collection


So, we woke at 5am this morning and snoozed a bit.
I got up and had my shower, did the pregnancy test ( the irony of having a positive pregnancy test while undergoing IVF ) !!! and I got myself ready to go.

We left the house at 6am after a few tears of nerves and we arrived at Shrewsbury hospital just before 7am. We actually arrived before the nurses did !!!

We were put in to a side room and the Embryologist Helene came in to talk to us about what would happen. She explained that the egg and sperm would be looked at to decide if IVF or ICSI was feasible. She told us that we will be contacted each day to advise on the progress of the eggs. She then took Richard away to show him to the room to provide his sample.

I was then left with Claire who went over some paperwork with me. Richard arrived just in time to witness the needle being put in my hand to put the drugs in. Mr Massoud came in to say hello to us and check that everything was okay and that we didn't have any questions. It was then time to get in to the lovely hospital gown and have a wee before heading in to the treatment room.


 I said goodbye to Richard and heading off.

I walked in to the room to find a nurse waiting for me. She and Claire sat me down on the bed and like Ros said in the induction, the embryologist appeared through the hatch to say hello. It made me chuckle when this happened and also made me slightly less nervous.
Next thing, Mr Massoud came in and popped some drugs in to my hand.....and I can honestly say I don't remember much else. I was awake through the procedure and the nurses kept asking if I was okay. I felt a little bit of tension and pulling but that was it. I was then told that it was all over and wheeled back in to the recovery room where Richard came through to join me. I gradually started to feel more myself again and had some water before Ros brought me a cup of tea with some biscuits.

One of the nurses advised us that they had collected thirteen eggs. Not my favourite number - but I was glad all the same. I was told that I could then get dressed and we just had to wait to see the Scientists. Helene the embryologist came through shortly after to advise that they got more eggs than they had anticipated which was a relief. Ric's sperm was viable so we don't need to worry about ICSI as they're going to create the embryos and proceed with IVF.

We were then free to leave. We left the hospital just before 10am and apart from feeling like I'd done a huge amount of sit ups....I felt okay. We travelled home and by 11am I was in my PJ's on the sofa, under orders to rest up :) We just need to continue taking each day as it comes and await the results from the emryologists tomorrow.

Finally, as we set off this morning and I was very emotional, I saw this quote on a friend's Facebook page: 


  On a very last note, today's date is    05-10-15 #justsaying 

No comments:

Post a Comment